As the days get longer and warmer in Europe, many riders are turning their thoughts towards summer and planning their motorcycling adventures. Top of the list for many is the annual pilgrimage to Garmisch-Partenkirchen in the first weekend of July for the BMW Motorrad Days festival, which this year promises to be bigger and better than ever before.
With such a special ’90 Years’ anniversary to celebrate, you can be sure that the organisers will be pulling out all the stops to make this year’s event truly memorable for the 35,000 BMW enthusiasts that are excepted to descend on the picturesque Alpine resort that welcomes motorcyclists from far and wide.
Every year the event grows in stature and reputation; the hardest part for many is finding the time to see and do everything, which is why we see familiar faces year after year, many of who choose to stay longer to explore what is undoubtedly one of the best and most scenic areas in Europe to discover by motorcycle.
As expected, the focus in 2013 will be very much on helping BMW Motorrad celebrate its 90th anniversary, so this year’s ‘birthday bash’ promises to be something really special. Here are just a few of the many highlights that will be on offer over the weekend of 5-7 July.
• A big ‘90 years of BMW Motorrad’ special exhibition staged by the BMW Classic department and featuring some of the most iconic machines from the brand’s illustrious history. There will also be a chance to meet representatives from international BMW Clubs
• Your chance to ‘meet and greet’ members of the BMW Motorrad Goldbet SBK Team that competes in the Superbike World Championship
• Test rides of all current BMW motorcycles, including the new R 1200 GS and revolutionary all-electric BMW C evolution. There are even test ride experiences available for those who don’t yet have a motorcycle licence, as well as test drives of BMW cars
• Fantastic guided scenic ride-outs on forest paths around the Garmisch-Partenkirchen area
• Your chance to participate in off-road training in a specially built BMW Enduro Park, with a choice of GS motorcycle
• Witness the timeless beauty of BMW bikes in the Classic Convoy on the Friday and then participate with your own BMW in the legendary Motorcycle Parade that snakes its way through the region on the Saturday
• Watch a selection of breathtaking performances by professional riders in the Event Arena, including Chris Pfeiffer’s stunt-tastic shows, as well as spectacular freestyle motocross (FMX) displays
• See some of the coolest custom bikes and one-off BMW specials, hosted by the legendary Ace Cafe from London
• Witness the daredevil antics of some of the bravest riders who take on the challenge of riding in the original Motodrom – the oldest Wall of Death still on display around the world
• Browse more than 80 international exhibitors, all dedicated to providing your motorcycling needs, from tuning to travel and training – and much more
• Check out all the latest models, products and rider equipment up close in a huge BMW Motorrad exhibition tent, including a couple of surprises…
• Experience the unforgettable atmosphere of the party tent where this year, more than 3,500 revellers will ‘rock out’ to Oktoberfest regulars Gerry & Gary and Blechblosn´n. These guys truly have to be seen to be believed
• Live music lovers and party animals have two more venues to choose from, as they can catch ‘Juicy’, ‘Los Gringos’ and ‘Dreirad’ in the US Lodge music venue late into the night, as well as chilling out by the campfire with acoustic specialist Byron
• Even jazz lovers are catered for this year with a special breakfast taking place outdoors on the Sunday, with music provided by the Metropolitan Jazz Band from Prague
• Don’t forget to enter the two special prize draws for your chance to win a ‘90 years anniversary’ R 1200 R roadster and R 1200 RT tourer
• And last but not least, be inspired by lectures, film shows and presentations in the BMW Motorrad Cinema by notable adventure travellers.
These are just a few of the many activities and events that will be happening at BMW Motorrad Days in July, so we encourage you to plan your trip, organise accommodation or bring your tent. The most important thing is to just BE THERE where we promise you a weekend to remember.
More information can be found at www.bmw-motorrad.com/motorraddays where accommodation can be organised, with direct links to the BMW Community.
BMW Motorrad UK are also running an 8 day/7 night tour to the festival departing on Wednesday 03 July. Click here for more details.